Ohlone blows out Chabot on Sophomore Night

Navin Krishnan, Staff Writer

The Ohlone College Renegades squared off against Chabot on the last home game of the regular season. They celebrated Ohlone Sophomore Night with a 83-73 victory in a heart-pounder that had the home crowd tripping up the Chabot Gladiators and cheering on Ohlone in what looked like a powerful back-and-forth game.

Ohlone was 45-38 at halftime. The Renegades outscored Chabot 40-35 in the second half.

“I got what we expected,” said Scott Fisher, Ohlone head coach. “They’re a great shooting team, they’ve been shooting very well the last couple weeks. They’re not a big team, so I thought we would dominate the boards. We did.”
We should have shot better from the free throw line,” Fisher said.

Ohlone shot 14 of 28 from the free throw line (50 percent), but physically slaughtered the smaller Chabot on the boards as expected, grabbing 48 rebounds and shooting 73 shots. The Renegades also had seven steals, three of them coming from starter Bryce Thompson and two from Richard Oryem.

“Chabot’s a very quick team,” Fisher added. “It was a must-win if we wanted any chance to stay in the playoffs.” Chabot, as expected, scored quickly and without hesitation as the Renegades saw their ceiling and mounted a comeback after shaking off a rough start.

The Renegades had depth as well. Oryem and Kai Winterling, 12 and 8 points, respectively, led the Ohlone bench in scoring.

“As the game went on, we had more depth. I feel like they got a little tired,” Fisher said. “It worked out exactly how I thought.” Devonte Butler shot 6-13 from beyond the three-point line alone.

Thompson and Cameron Bradley have been our guys all year long. Bradley shot only 5 of 15, but Thompson shot a brilliant 5 of 9 and made 5 free throws, and also tallied 9 assists. Ohlone had 17 assists and only 6 turnovers.

“We’re a fast-paced team, and we proved it,” Fisher said. Ohlone made 28 of 73 shots, but played at a riveting pace and essentially wore out Chabot’s zone. Chabot zoned up because they thought they could run Ohlone out of the gym since they were a smaller team. Unfortunately for Chabot, Ohlone fought back, attacking at a furious pace and wearing out the undermanned Gladiators. Ohlone proved that their size can dominate, grabbing 17 offensive rebounds and 31 defensive rebounds. When Chabot thought they could fight back, Ohlone’s defense clamped them down.

“We have to do a better job of jumping to the ball and we need to do a better job when teams are swinging the ball out on the perimeter so quickly,” Fisher added.

“I felt we could get into the paint, so I wanted us to move the ball,” he added. “Then they closed out, I felt we could get into the paint and then kick it out for open threes. I felt at times we took the first shot and we could get better opportunities. We wanted to give up good for great.”