Season finale: Despite not reaching the playoffs, men’s soccer team finish with positive attitude

Head Coach David Marroquin, instructing defender Jonathan Goncalves before hopping into the pitch.

Yuma Urfi/The Monitor

Yuma Urfi/The Monitor

Navine Krishnan, Sports Co-Editor

Though they had some moments of tribulation like the 1-4 loss to Chabot and the plethora of draws they maintained this season, the Renegades men’s soccer team’s season has come to a halt, and Ohlone reflects on a prosperous and well-earned season.

The Renegades played to their fulfillment and, according to the players, had an above-average season.

Head Coach David Marroquin said that the players were quicker, stronger, and overall more athletic than teams past. Marroquin, who played as a Renegade himself, said he is “not measuring the team’s performance on wins and losses. It’s about being mentally tough and gaining confidence.”

Goalkeeper, Khang Nguyen, agreed with his coach and said, “It’s not about win or losses. [after the season] it’s all about the memories. Just playing every game, that was my goal [other than making the playoffs].”

Nguyen is a sophomore, one of many Ohlone Renegades looking for a scholarship to transfer to a four-year college and compete at the next level.

Nguyen said, “What David [Marroquin] once told me was to get something you never had, you have to do something you’ve never done,” said Nguyen.

Nguyen believes that consistence, discipline, and hard work are the keys for achieving the playoffs in next seasons. “I’m hoping we [the Renegades] work to keep up [the standard]. That’s what I did, I kept working– kept my head down and kept working. If you want to beat the competition, you’ve got to outwork them.”

Scoring 32 goals, the Renegades averaged 1.45 goals per game. They also finished with a total of 27 assists and ranked 10th in CCCAA (California Community College Athletic Association) soccer clubs in corner kicks with 64.

The Renegades finished the season 1-10-2 in conference play: one win, two losses and ten draws and 6-13-3 overall: 6 wins, 13 draws and 3 losses.