Construction on Schedule

November 27, 2017

After+almost+2+years+of+progress%2C+Academic+Core+buildings+are+on+track+to+meet+the+Spring+2019+deadline.+
After almost 2 years of progress, Academic Core buildings are on track to meet the Spring 2019 deadline.

The Academic Core construction project on the Fremont campus continues to progress smoothly.

Developments on the construction are progressing to a degree that can be seen by students. Over the course of the semester, the buildings have gone from I-beam husks to being filled out with fireproof materials and having concrete poured.

Robert Dias, Measure G director, informed The Monitor of some of the recent developments on the worksite. “We are making significant progress with the Academic Core Buildings project,” Dias said.

Scaffolding on Building 2 is complete, and workers can be seen using them to install components from the exterior of the building. Buildings 1 and 3 are now in the process of having scaffolding added so that similar progress can begin making headway on them as well.

Progress is ongoing in all three buildings as far as “interior wall framing and installation of the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing infrastructure,” Dias said. “At this stage, most of the structural steel work is substantially completed.”

Looking forward, the construction will work through the winter, and is prepared accordingly. As Dias puts it, “We are currently making preparations to continue the construction work during the upcoming winter season.”

In doing so, it is most likely the project will remain on schedule for its opening, projected for the spring of 2019.