Raiders Staying in the Bay Area?

November 9, 2017

As all residents of California and specifically the Bay Area know, the Oakland Raiders will not be in Oakland for too much longer. During the 2020 season, the Oakland Raiders will be moved to Las Vegas.

However, the road to Vegas may be a little rocky. By Thanksgiving, President Donald Trump has vowed to issue a GOP tax plan. The stadium’s financing plan includes around $750 million in publicly-issued tax-exempt bonds.

Therefore, with the new plan being issued soon, the financial models laid out for the stadium will be in conflict with what is about to be passed in the coming weeks.

“The stadium, as designed, appears to meet the definition of a project that could not use tax-exempt bonds,” said Jeremy Aguero of Applied Analysis. “That could potentially affect the financial models we have been using in estimating the potential cost of the project.”

If things aren’t figured out soon, Raiders fans could see their home team remain in the Bay Area at least for a few more years while things are figured out. Regardless of location, it looks like the Raiders are going to play well.

They are second place in the AFC West and have their eyes set on playoff contention. Oakland will resume play Sunday against the Patriots in Mexico City at Estadio Azteca.