The Killers fight to the charts with ‘Battle Born’

By CAMERON LOPEZ

Staff writer

Once again The Killers come out fighting with their new album released Sept. 18 “Battle Born.”

After a two-year hiatus, The Killers finally returned to the studio to record their new 12-track LP.

The Killers named their fourth studio album after their home studio Battle Born in Winchester, Nev.

The term “battle born” is the phrase that appears in the scroll that’s on the Nevada state flag.

“Battle Born” opens with a melodic, electric, pong-like sound to draw listeners in, as synthesizers drop in dark to eventually build the song into a powerful anthem entitled “Flesh and Bone.”

The track really sets the tone for the whole album, as songs like “A Matter of Time” and “Miss Atomic Bomb” have a Bruce Springsteen kind of “American Rock & Roll” feel to it.

While other songs such as the title track “Battle Born” and “The Way it Was” have more of a Bowie-like sound to it, all while still staying true to their original Killers sound.

As a whole, “Battle Born” paints a picture of a 1950s rebellious American teenage love story set in the arid deserts of Nevada. The music has a mixture of driving bass lines and pop synth tones, while the guitars either roar in the background or tear through melodies with catchy and tuneful solos.

Brandon Flowers shines as a lyricist once again, with his use of imagery and symbolism to touch on different subjects through out the album, with lines taken from “The Rising Tide” talking of infidelity, such as:

“I was there, in the back of the room when you touched the fire. With your pitchfork tongue you licked your lips and you lied.”

Flowers, with his descriptive, allegorical lyrics, combined with the unique up-beat Mojave-pop, rock sound of the band, makes this album great to listen to whether the fans want to blast the music through a stereo and dance the hot desert night away or just sit back and listen with their hands on the wheel and their heads in the clouds.