New talent inspires Ohlone’s basketball upcoming season

November 8, 2017

Pierce Mack, number 24, scoring during training drills from the Renegades' last practice.

Navin Krishna/Monitor

Navin Krishna/Monitor

Ohlone’s last basketball season had nothing to complain about as they reached the playoffs and lost against state’s no. 1 Yuba College, ending with a good 21-9 season . . Still, for this season, the Renegades look to continue and improve their winning ways going into the 2017-18 season, adding new talent along with transfers.

The Renegades open up the season Nov. 9 in the Jonathan Wallace Memorial Tournament. A tournament dedicated to Jonathan Christian Wallace, a former Ohlone College Men’s Basketball player who passed away in 2004 as a member of the team.

One the transfers is guard Vinnie Safin from Simon Fraser University in Canada. Safin feels excited about the upcoming season. “On a scale of 1-10 my excitement is a 10 out of 10 for the first game. We have a lot of young guys right now so it’s a bit of a growing process, but we will get there,” Safin said.

Moreover, Safin admits to have a role of leadership after playing in higher divisions at Canada. “I just try to set examples in drills and be someone to turn to for answers to questions since I have been playing a little bit longer’, he said Among the experience players is sophomore guard Bryce Thompson, who discussed his excitement, along with what knowledge he can share after playing with the 2016-17 Renegades.

“I’m very excited to start the season, to say the least,” Thompson said. “I just want to have a better season than we had last year, and I think with the guys we have can really do that,” he said. “I try to lead by example, you know show them what to do, what not to do and if I see something they are doing wrong I try to fix it,” he finished saying Also, perhaps not considered transfers but also reinforcing the team are players coming from Australia, bringing a different but interesting style of basketball to the Renegades, which will definitely be exciting to watch.

Full of excitement and new faces, the Renegades have their season opener Nov. 9 at Building 9.