Canada's goalkeeper, Olivia Jantuen putting all at risk to stop Ohlone forward, Elena Storm.

Two set pieces put Ohlone back on losing track

October 27, 2017

With Head Coach Larry Heslin out due to back surgery, the Ohlone Renegades saw themselves back into losing ways after the Canada Colts beat them 2-0 on last Tuesday.

With two well planned set pieces during the fifth and the twentieth minute, Canada put themselves on the board early in the game.

First, Canada’s defender, Zoe Bell, completed a well-executed corner kick with a stunning header, beating Ohlone’s keeper, Laticia Romero. Minutes after, the Colts took the Renegades by surprise after taking a short corner kick and delivering a precise cross that Canada’s forward Ashlen Kelley tapped in with a powerful volley.

After a rough first half, the Renegades were able to level things even and keep a clean sheet during the second half. However, they stll lacked of composure to connect some passes to beat Canada’s defense.

“One of the things we need to do is to connect some passes, we need to make rival turnovers count,” said Men’s Soccer Head Coach and Women’s Soccer Interim coach, David Marroquin. “We are defending so much and we’re so tired, and being able to keep the ball would help our game overall,” he said.

Despite the loss, coach Marroquin, wasn’t completely upset after the game. “This group of girls have been spread in terms of the changes and injuries. I think that just being able to compete in the game was a very positive mark, particularly in the second half as we were able to stop [Canada} and some of their dangerous players. Overall, it was a high effort and that’s nothing else we can ask for,” said Marroquin.

Within other good remarks after the game is Ohlone’s keeper, Romero. Romero was able to stop six of the eight shots she received against, including two great one-on-one saves against Canada’s strikers.

Marroquin expects the team to remain focused in order to improve for the rest of the season. “I hope they remain motivated and understand that this is process-based,” he said

Ohlone is looking to get back on the winning ways this Friday when they face De Anza College at the Fremont campus.