Penalty kick rescues Men’s Soccer

October 27, 2017

Ohlone defender, Antonio Manzo trying to steal the ball from Evergreen midfielder, Robert Viera

The Renegades darted out of the locker room eager to compete against Evergreen Valley College’s men’s team and emerged with a 1-1 draw on Oct. 24.

Ohlone lasered passes through the Evergreen defense but no matter who they chose to utilize their possession of the ball, Evergreen kept scrapping and communicating.

In an instant, Evergreen snapped back, as midfielder Robert Viera weaved through several Renegade defenders and scored by beating the Renegades’ goalie for the first goal of the match 33 minutes into the game.

Ohlone Men’s Soccer Head Coach David Marroquin suggested his team’s chemistry is responsible for the success of the team.

“From the back line to the front line to the forwards, we [take pride] with our talent level. Chemistry is just training. The adversity we have is just trying to [deny] one another [internally on the team]. When things aren’t going our way, we’re [sometimes] in situations where we get our lucky bounces. It’s all about being mentally tough and building confidence,” he said.

It seemed every time Ohlone made mistakes, Evergreen tried to capitalize and they denied the Renegades every time they had more energy and focus.

“Intensity is not a light switch …,” Cordova said, “if we have intense training then we have intense games.”

“Some of the things we’re focused on right now is that we’re dealing with a lot of injuries. It really is just next man up; we really just grind it up,” Marroquin said. We’ve had club teams come and watch us play and we talk to them about what it means to be a collegiate athlete.

Compared to the past, I think we’re at a place that we can recruit players that are quality.

In previous seasons, players weren’t attracted to our program.”

Ohlone’s next game is on Nov. 3 against Hartnell College.