Beyond the Console: E-sports in the Bay Area?

October 27, 2017

The San Francisco Shock, a new eSports team, will soon add the Bay Area to the big eSports community around the globe.

They will compete in the upcoming eSports season for Overwatch, currently the most popular multiplayer first person shooter in the industry.

According to developer Activision-Blizzard, with an army of 35 million players, Overwatch typically generates steady revenues over $1 billion. Overwatch’s eSports global audience in 2016, was counted at 323 million and is expected to grow to 589 million by the year 2020. This will help generate an estimated $1.488 billion , according to Newzoo’s report, who cover eSports and global games.

However, the question is, will this new team be enough to convince Bay Area residence to take eSports seriously? Certain signs point toward this being true.

Since the team’s creation there have been many investors scrambling to take advantage of the opportunity, wanting to be involved in a large and thriving industry.

Coincidently, most investors have turned out to be in some way connected to sports or even athletes themselves. Some investors include Sacramento Kings Co-owner, Andy Miller, Raiders running back, Marshawn Lynch, and former NBA Center, Shaquille O’Neal.

This will strengthen the presence of eSports throughout the Bay Area and give the sport a wider range community.

“We want guys living around here and working here. That’s the goal,” Miller said to the San Francisco Chronicle, briefly elaborating on the wide range the team will bring to the table.

Hopefully, this will help the world of eSports expand, particularly in the Bay Area and help the league gain an even more serious mainstream audience.

While eSports seems to generally be taken more seriously as a real sport, realistically, only time will tell whether or not this will take full effect in the Bay Area.