Steve Kerr out indefinitely

Sara Biela, Sports Editor

Just as a championship run was starting to heat up, back issues have returned for Golden State Warriors Head Coach Steve Kerr.

Kerr received a spinal cord leak procedure at Duke University this past Friday and remains out indefinitely.

According to SF Gate, general manager Bob Myers says he’s “optimistic that Kerr will heal, but is still unsure of when he’ll come back.”

At this point, the team is more worried about Kerr’s lifelong health than his return to the bench this postseason. Kevin Durant expressed his feelings toward his head coach.

“We all care about him and worry about him,” said Durant to SF Gate. “Knowing Coach, he wants us to focus on the task at hand… But for the most part, we’re always thinking about him and praying he gets better.”

Deja vu. Remember when Luke Walton, now head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, stepped in as acting head coach at the beginning of last season? He was able to lead the Warriors to a 39-4 record before Kerr returned.

This time around, Kerr lead the team to a 67-15 record. For playoffs, he only coached the first two games against the Portland Trail Blazers before hitting the sideline. Assistant Coach Brown stepped in as acting head coach for Game 3 and remains in that position today.

Since then, the Warriors were able to complete back-to-back sweeps of the Trail Blazers and the Utah Jazz.

Although the team is taking care of business like they usually do, will Kerr return to the bench any time soon?

Unfortunately, it’s very unlikely. Will his health cause him to retire? It’s something that no Warrior fan wants to think about, but it’s a possibility.

1 Comment

• Jay Has

Chronic pain sucks

[Reply]

Steve Kerr out indefinitely