Ohlone baseball players top the stats

Two Ohlone baseball players are leading the stats in the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) as their playoff run begins.

Freshman pitcher Brian Martinez leads the state in overall wins and sophomore outfielder Ryan Ruley leads all Northern California Conferences in batting average (BA).

Martinez finished the regular season with 11 wins with a 2.25 ERA. He struck out 52 batters in 19 appearances.

In a recent interview, Martinez said he feels good about his success. “It’s a good accomplishment,” said Martinez. “I’m pretty pumped about it.”

Martinez started playing baseball at the age of six and states that he’s “the only one in his family to make it to the college level in sports.”

When asked about what contributed to all of his wins, Martinez didn’t hesitate to mention his baseball family. “It wasn’t just me,” said Martinez. “It didn’t take one person, it took the whole team to get all these wins. My offense definitely helped me win those games.”

As for the star outfielder, Ruley finished the regular season with a .481 BA with 8 HR and 42 runs batted in (RBI).

In a recent interview, Ruley said he’s satisfied with what he’s been able to contribute after a displeasing season last year. “It feels great,” said Ruley. “I just go up there with a good approach, looking to drive a fastball every at bat and hit something hard.”

Ruley said his love for the game started “by playing ball in his backyard” with his family when he was six or seven years old. He then went on to play at Livermore High School.

When asked about who gives him the motivation to be successful, Ruley immediately brought up his family. “My biggest motivation is my family and my girlfriend,” said Ruley. “They’re there for me 24/7 through the ups and downs and they support me like no other.”

Closing in on his time here at Ohlone, Ryan Ruley plans to continue playing baseball for years to come. “This is my sophomore year, and I signed with Loyola Marymount [University] Division in Los Angeles,” said Ruley. “I’m very excited to accept their scholarship. They’re 23rd in the nation right now.”

The Coast Conference-Pacific Division champions are currently competing in the Nor Cal Regional Playoffs. In Round 1, they faced the Cosumnes River Hawks.

They lost Game 1 10-1, but were able to bounce back and win Game 2 8-4. Brian Martinez threw seven complete innings and got his 12th win of the season.

For Game 3, with the help of Ryan Probst’s 2-out single in the 9th inning, the Renegades won in walk-off fashion 10-9 to become the CCCAA Regional Champions.
The Renegades advance to the second round of the playoffs and face the Cabrillo Seahawks this Friday at 2 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m., and if needed, Sunday at 1 p.m.