Table Tennis Wins in Wisconsin

April 19, 2017

Grant Bergmann

Grant Bergmann

After much success in the regional tournament last month, the Ohlone table tennis team travelled to Eau Claire, Wisconsin to compete in the National Collegiate Table Tennis Association (NCTTA) Championship competition.

On April 7 through April 9, the table tennis team won second place in the women’s team championship and third place in the Co-Ed team championship. Emily Wang and Yi Wu won third place in the women’s doubles event.

In a recent interview with the team’s coach, Yong Gao, he knew exactly how to prepare his players

before competing.

“Our players are professionals and have had a lot of experience in competitions like these,” said Gao, “The only things I wanted our players to keep in mind were to forget winning or losing, be yourself, relax, and focus.”

Through the dramatic and competitiveness with 40 other teams, Ohlone’s table tennis team received a lot of recognition.

Gao was very pleased with how the team performed. “We had another successful year because we reached our goal – to try your best and have fun,” said Gao.

The table tennis team will be hosting a tournament of their own at Ohlone College on April 29. It will be held in the gym from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All local table tennis clubs, players, and college students are welcome to participate.

This event may get rescheduled, but sign-ups are still being accepted. Contact Audrey Lui (luiaudre@gmail.com) or President Ying Wang (yingwang947@gmail.com) for more information.