Rooted in Oakland

April 19, 2017

Sara Biela

Spring Training is over, and the Oakland A’s season is officially underway. The team got off to a good start in Mesa, but ultimately finished 16-18 in Cactus league play.

With back to back disappointing seasons in the American League West division, the team is already on the outs of making the playoffs.

The trade deadline moves of Josh Reddick, Rich Hill and Coco Crisp, in addition to the offseason move of Danny Valencia, had a lot of people questioning whether the organization would ever get back to place they were in 2012 and 2013.

With those acquisitions and free agency pickups came nearly an entire new roster. For these new arrivals, most of them aren’t new at all – Jed Lowrie, Rajai Davis, Santiago Casilla and Adam Rosales have all played for the A’s. As for the new players, such as Matt Joyce and Trevor Plouffe, they bring positive energy to the clubhouse.

Plus, promising prospects from past trades are starting to showcase their skills. Franklin Barreto had a very successful Spring Training, going 13-27 with a .481 batting average.

Other prospects that made an impression were Matt Chapman, A.J. Puk and Frankie Montas. Rookie right handed pitcher Jharel Cotton had a great Spring Training, going 3-0, and was rewarded with a spot in the starting rotation.

With losing fan-favorite players but gaining hopeful returnees and newbies, will the outcome still be what everyone is expecting? Or will A’s fans be surprised with a wild card spot, or even a division title?

A lot has to happen to even consider them a playoff contender. The odds are definitely against the A’s right now, but I wouldn’t count them out just yet.