Raiders are on the Move

Sara Biela, Sports Editor

It’s official – the deed is done. The Oakland Raiders are moving to Las Vegas.

On March 27, 31 out of the 32 NFL owners casted their votes in favor to move the Raiders to Sin City. The Miami Dolphins were the only team to oppose. This is the third time in franchise history that the Raiders will move.

“I have mixed feelings; it’s very bittersweet,” said Raiders owner Mark Davis to EPSN, “I understand Oakland fans will be angry and disappointed. Raider Nation is the greatest fan base in the world and we’re going to build something to make them proud.”

Oakland mayor Libby Schaaf made one last effort to keep the team after being told by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that the city’s proposal was not a “viable solution.” According to ESPN, Schaaf asked to delay the vote in order to give Oakland a chance to negotiate the completion of the stadium deal at the O.co Coliseum.

“I am disappointed that the Raiders and the NFL chose Las Vegas over Oakland when we had a fully-financed, shovel-ready stadium project that would have kept the Raiders in Oakland where they were born and raised,” said Schaff to ESPN following the vote, “As a lifelong Oaklander, my heart aches today for the Raider Nation.”

The Raiders will continue to play in Oakland for the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and possibly longer.  Davis also told ESPN that he was open to playing the 2019 season in Oakland as well. “If they want us, we’d seriously consider it,” said Davis to ESPN.

The Raiders will put forth $500 million toward the $1.9 billion stadium, with another $750 million in Las Vegas tax revenues. Bank of America will loan $650 million after casino mogul Sheldon Adelson withdrew his support back in January.

Quarterback Derek Carr tweeted that the news of the move left him with mixed emotions.

Head Coach Jack Del Rio also commented on the news. “My emotions are mixed,” Del Rio said to ESPN, “While, I’m sad for family, friends, and fans in the Oak area, I also recognize the tremendous opportunity going forward for our organization. That being said, my mission remains the same. To lead this team here and now.”

The Raiders’ proposed 65,000 seat stadium will be shared with the University of Nevada at Las Vegas and is not expected to be finished until 2020. Season ticket deposits for Las Vegas are now being accepted at $100.