Ohlone Baseball Wins First Conference Game

March 8, 2017

@OhloneBaseball on Twitter

@OhloneBaseball on Twitter

The Ohlone Renegades baseball team opened conference play on Tuesday afternoon with a win over the Skyline Trojans 5-4. Head Coach Mike Curran was impressed with how his team played. “The guys executed nicely today,” said Coach Curran. “Skyline is a very good team this year. They have a lot of experience and a lot of guys who know how to play the game, so this was a nice win.”

The team had ten hits overall, with three of them coming from their lead-off hitter – Centerfielder Ryan Ruley. Second baseman Isaac Cruz added to the offense with an RBI single in the 3rd inning. Designated hitter Ryan Probst also contributed with two hits – one of them being a 2-RBI single in the 5th inning.

Starting pitcher Nick Maldonado threw three innings, giving up four hits, two runs, three walks and four strikeouts. He was replaced by Brian Martinez in the 4th inning, who threw 4.2 innings, giving up six hits, two runs, two walks and two strikeouts. Martinez was awarded with the win to improve to 4-0 on the season, and Stirling Strong was awarded with his first save.

“We were able to come up with some big hits and we were able to make some big pitches as some critical points in the game,” said Coach Curran. “It’s just one game, and that’s how we approach it. We just try to take one day at a time and get better every day.”

Up next for the Renegades, they will travel to San Bruno to face the Skyline Trojans for a second time on Thursday, March 9th, with first pitch at 2:00 p.m. For a full schedule, visit http://www.ohlone.edu/org/athletics/baseball/.