Ohlone Basketball’s Playoff Run Ends

March 6, 2017

The Ohlone Men's basketball season came to an end this past Saturday at the Northern California Regional Finals against Yuba College, losing 63-54.

The Renegades were playing their best basketball of the season leading into this playoff matchup, seeing as they were 6-1 in their previous seven games.

Standing in their way was Yuba, who came into this matchup as the number one ranked team in the state with an outstanding 28-2 record.

"It was a very hostile crowd and the crowd noise was definitely a playoff type of environment," said Sophomore guard Devon Rowland.

Amongst the crowd were former Yuba alumni, including Festus Ezeli, Center for the Portland Trail Blazers.

Both teams were neck and neck in the first half, as they were tied 31-31, which led to the deciding second half.

The Renegades needed a major contribution off the bench in order to stay in the game. Bryce Thompson provided a huge lift with 10 points, 6 rebounds and 3 steals.

Yuba Forward, Jihad Woods, has averaged 16 points per game this season and continued to play well as he had his way with the Renegade defense. He finished the game with 28 points.

Mid-way through the second half, the momentum of the game began to favor Yuba, and the Renegades did not have an answer for this Yuba team that have won consecutive games.

The Renegades concluded their season with a 21-9 record after an impressive 9-2 start.

Coach Scott Fisher finished his third year as the head man in charge of the Men's basketball program, and this year proved that this team's culture may be headed in the proper direction.

Fisher finished 16-13 in 2014 under his first season as head coach, and followed it up with a regressed 2015 campaign, finishing 11-16.

Before the season, the Renegades were not viewed as heavy favorites to compete for a State Championship and managed to come within a few games of what would have been an unbelievable playoff run.

Rowland has played under Fisher for the past two seasons and stated, "Coach seemed more passionate this year and I could tell he wanted it more."

"Seeing how that was my last basketball game here at Ohlone, I didn't want to go out like that," Rowland continued to say, "but overall, we had a good season and they should be able to build this offseason."

Fisher brought in multiple recruits from Australia that contributed good quality play for him this season and we can expect to see him do the same this off-season.

Fisher played professional basketball in Australia for over ten years and has built a great foundation with integrating international players into the program.

We look forward to seeing many of the sophomores from this year move on to sharing their talents to other colleges and universities next fall.

The Renegades will look to bounce back from this crushing loss by taking a few weeks off, but then will begin spring workouts towards the end of March.

For full highlights of the game, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drsG1Yt7uKQ