Teams Ready for Season

February 16, 2017

Ohlone Baseball Field

Ohlone Baseball Field

Ohlone Baseball Field

As a new spring semester starts at Ohlone College, some of the sports teams are anxiously looking forward to starting after months of practice. The Renegades baseball, softball and swimming teams will kick off their seasons in late January/early February.

After an impressive 25-11 season last spring, 4th year Head Coach Michael Curran and the Renegades baseball team will look to continue their success. Coach Curran said “we have a good group of guys. They work well together and the teamwork is great.”

The Renegades will start the season being the first team to play on their new baseball field. The fields finished construction last year and both teams were able to start practicing on them in the fall. Coach Curran said “The field is nice; plays nice too. Nice tool for guys and recruits.”

Coach Curran and the rest of the coaching staff are confident and ready to accomplish the goals they set out for. “We want to improve the culture of the program,” said Curran. “The goal is to win the conference championship.”

Ohlone’s softball team will shine under new Head Coach Julie Marshall. Marshall joined the team last year as an assistant coach, and will begin her first year as the head coach. Catcher Savina Gonzales had nothing but kind words to say about her. “She’s amazing. One of the best coaches I’ve ever been able to play for. She creates a bond with the team that’s like no other,” said Gonzales.

In addition to a new coach, the softball team will also start playing on their new field. “It’s a dream come true,” said Gonzales. “I’m beyond lucky to be on the first team that has a chance to play on it every day.”

Under 3rd year Head Coach Casey Fleming, the men’s and women’s swim teams will compete in eight meets. The first meet at Ohlone will be Friday, February 17th, starting at 10:00 A.M. For the first time since 2014, Ohlone will be hosting two of the eight meets in the newly renovated pool. For full schedules for every sport, visit www.ohlone.edu/org/athletics.