Ohlone’s New Fields, Pool Finally Here

Alexandra Romero, Features Editor

New construction has given Ohlone a different atmosphere.

Among the new editions to the campus is a renovated swimming pool. Located next to Building 9. The pool’s noticeable difference is its depth; it’s now shallower. In a recent interview with Chris Warden, the Dean of Athletics, he stated,  “the pool went from being 19 feet deep in the deep-end to 9 feet deep”. Included is a newly upgraded mechanical system that has a higher energy saving efficiency. The heater and filtration system will warm the pool faster and ensure it remains heated for a longer period of time, the diving boards were removed and it received a fresh coat of paint and a new deck.

Moreover, a decision to construct the soccer, softball and baseball fields was something that they “were working with for quite a few years,” said Dean Warden. For the past five years, soccer has been off campus due to the lack of a field.

The baseball field was shifted 90 degrees for it to face a different direction for aesthetic purposes. Dean Warden specified, “if we brought the backstop and the diamond closer to softball, then the audience can come to softball then go to baseball and soccer.” The decision to move the baseball field and other field locations as well will guarantee that the game watchers to have easier access to all three fields. Additionally, a new field house has been built in between the fields. It has a treatment area, an ice room and has a storage room for the equipment to maintain the fields.

According to Dean Warden, “the three fields are competition, college levels fields, with the soccer field being as big as a football field, which is 120 yards by 75 yards across.” The new fields are important because although they have their respective expectations and similarities, they are ultimately different lengths and styles; and although there was a reduce in parking because of the placements of the fields in the lower campus, the decision to construct them might not have occurred without the parking structure already existing. Meaning Newark campus would’ve had our new fields.

All the fields contain artificial grass that requires little maintenance. Even with all the rain since the past few weeks, there were no muddy puddles on the fields. There is a drainage system underneath as well so athletes can still play even when it’s rainy.  Dean Warden has said, “you can hear the rain under the fields rushing out like a waterfall.”

Additional there’s brand new seating on the concrete instead of dirt. It’s easier to manage and will allow setting up a ticketing area for the games.

With these remodeling of the fields, baseball and softball staff hope to recruit new athletes.  Dean Warden has said, “the development has improved the moral for athletes and regular students alike because it gives a sense of commodity, sportsmanship, and school spirit and it’s a testament to patience. It was a long process for all the teams and especially soccer because they were off for so long, I think that the final product looks great. I’m really excited about using it for years and years to come.”