Julie Marshall – New head coach for Women’s Softball

February 16, 2017

After 29 amazing years from Donna Runyon, former Assistant Coach Julie Marshall begins her first season as the new head coach of the Ohlone Renegades softball team.

In a recent interview with Head Coach Julie Marshall, she stated that her interest for the game emerged almost from the very beginning. "From a young age, I played baseball, then I transferred over into softball. It's a passion that I have – I love the game," she said.

Coach Marshall went to Liberty High School and played four different sports. She was the starting catcher for the softball team, and was named the team's MVP all four years and the league's MVP three times. Marshall finished her high school career two home runs short of the state record of 23.

She attended UCLA in 1996 through 1999, spending all four years playing for the Bruins, and earning many accomplishments throughout – including a national championship. "I was an All-American and All-Pac 10 player. I played in the professional league, and was a part of the Junior Olympic group for softball," said Coach Marshall. She was drafted by the Women's Pro Softball League's (WPSL) Florida Wahoos.

Before coming to Ohlone, Julie Marshall coached at Amador High School and won a couple NCS championships during her time. In addition, she is in charge of a travel program, which is an 18-goal program where athletes receive aid in earning college scholarships and get signed to a 4-year university or junior college. Overall, Marshall has been coaching for 17 years and states "I'm fortunate I get to do what I love, and I love what I do."

With 17 years of coaching experience, Marshall has stuck to the same coaching style, but is open to learn more. "I would say old school, but aggressive," said Coach Marshall, "I like to coach the way I played. I'm old school, but adaptive to new school forms and implementing them on a daily basis."

There's been a lot of success within the softball department this past year, and when asked about the ultimate goal of the season, the head coach didn't hesitate. "I try to have my girls focus on the process, meaning the little investments they've put in since the start of fall," said Marshall. "We focus on the little things, which will hopefully equal to the big things."

When it comes to the program, she continued, "The goals for our softball program is winning conference, winning states, and bringing a dynasty back to Ohlone."

This is Coach Marshall's first experience as a college head coach. Once Runyon was ready to step down, Marshall was ready to step up. "Donna groomed me last year; showed me the way so that I can take over this year."

When asked about the team's chemistry, Marshall was all smiles. "The chemistry is amazing," she said. "They love each other, and they're friends outside of the field. We're jelling well athletically, socially and physically all together."

For the players, the feeling is mutual. 2nd Basemen Kassie Kochan had great things to say about her head coach. "Julie is probably one of the best coach I've had!" said Kochan. "She is a great person all around and truly cares for every one of her players. I love being able to play for her!"

With construction finished last year, thanks to Measure G Bond – the Renegades were able to start their season playing on their new field. "It's amazing," said Coach Marshall. "It's amazing to be able to walk in something like this."

A season with a new softball field and a new head coach – talk about timing. "This is Team 32, and my number in college was 32," said Head Coach Marshall. "It's like fate is on my side, and it's pretty cool in that sense."

To find out more about Ohlone's softball team, visit http://www.ohlone.edu/org/athletics/softball.