Still a chance

Albert Rebosura, Sports editor

For the past week, sports news has been anything but bright.

Domestic violence has been all over the news, starting with the recently released video of former NFL player Ray Rice’s attack on his then fiancée and now wife Jenay Rice. The fallout, and how it was handled by the NFL, was national news, but Rice’s situation wasn’t the only negative story.

Racist remarks by Atlanta Hawks’ co-owner Bruce Levenson and General Manager Danny Ferry toward Miami Heat player Luol Deng were made public last week as well.

Then, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was charged with injury to a child after he allegedly beat his 4-year-old son with a switch.

Unfortunately, the negative coverage overshadowed a great story about the Cincinnati Bengals and player Devon Still.

Still, 25, the Bengals’ second-round draft pick in 2012, was cut from the team in late August. According to ESPN.com, Still was cut due to injuries and because he wasn’t completely focused on football.

Still’s focus at the time was for his 4-year-old daughter, Leah, who was diagnosed with Stage Four neuroblastoma, a type of cancer. She has a 50-50 chance of surviving.

Still was signed to the practice squad after his release. Last week, he received the news that the Bengals would help him out and activate him to the team’s 53-man roster, which means he would make significantly more money.

Not only did the Bengals make a great gesture by activating Still to the main roster, but they also decided to sell Still’s jerseys and donate all the proceeds to pediatric cancer treatment and the research facilities at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.

Amid all the negativity, perhaps there’s Still a chance to feel good about sports, thanks to the Cincinnati Bengals.