Lady Renegades close out De Anza Lady Dons

Hung Nguyen
Candy De Los Reyes takes some contact from the De Anza College defender while scoring in a victory for the Lady Renegades on Monday at Epler Gymnasium on the Fremont campus.

Louis LaVenture

Louis LaVenture, Editor-in-chief

The Ohlone College women’s basketball team dominated the non-conference matchup with the De Anza Lady Dons at Epler Gymnasium on Monday until the end.

With just a few minutes remaining, De Anza put together a furious comeback but fell short to the Lady Renegades by a final score of 72-69, making the contest appear much closer than it was. Ohlone is now 4-2 overall and riding a three-game winning streak with conference play rapidly approaching.

De Anza guard Chyna Cole nailed a buzzer-beating 3-pointer but it was not enough to take down Ohlone.

“Ohlone is a really good team and everybody makes mistakes but they made us pay for them,” Cole said. “We just kept on encouraging each other. That’s how a team is successful.”

Cole provided a spark off the bench, amassing 8 points but also turning the ball over five times.

The comeback was an impressive one considering the score at halftime was a lopsided 40-21 favoring Ohlone.

Redshirt sophomore guard Kianha Farrish was one of the primary reasons for that huge halftime lead for the Lady Renegades, nailing a couple huge 3-pointers in the opening minutes of the contest.

“I had my shot going early so mentally I was trying to get the team involved,” Farrish said.“We weren’t rebounding and they were aggressive.”

Farrish finished with a team-high 17 points, including five 3-pointers.

Deajanae Conic was impressive for Ohlone all night, establishing a presence inside and outside for the Lady Renegades.

“We got a little sloppy toward the end and we started to fall apart a little bit,” Conic said. “We huddled up a few times and picked each other up energy-wise.”

Conic was all over the floor for Ohlone and Coach Julia Allender, who nearly left over the summer to go to Holy Names University. Conic was impressive in the winning effort, totaling 15 points and seven rebounds.

Ohlone is averaging more than 70 points a game while shooting more than 45 percent from the field and 33 percent from behind.

Ohlone will travel the next two weekends to participate in the Comet Classic in San Pablo and the Caren Franci Tournament in Santa Rosa before returning home.

The Lady Renegades will take on Foothill College at 6 p.m. Dec. 20 at Epler Gymnasium on the Fremont campus.