Guns on campus, a good solution?

Riccardo Pichardo, Opinions Editor

Most schools in the United States are gun-free zones, and Ohlone College is one of them. If we were to have guns on campus, not only would we be safer against random attacks, but an intruder entering the campus carrying a concealed weapon wouldn’t be much more dangerous than our own defense.

By having something, we would have immediate protection until Fremont police arrive from their 4-mile drive. When students know they are safe 100 percent of the time, they can focus more on school work and less time of survival. The Second Amendment isn’t only about owning weapons, it’s also about protecting ourselves from those who decide assault. Schools are considered safe havens and because we’re in Fremont, our school would only become safer with properly trained designated staff.  In recent light, the thought of teachers arming themselves became public and some of Ohlone’s staff made it clear that arming teachers isn’t necessary because it would only create more tension in the class environment. The answer isn’t to arm everyone, but maybe we should have designated staff on campus with proper physical and mental training. That being said, an institution should decide what proper training is and who can receive it. For more reassurance, we do have sworn police officers on campus who could help facilitate the chosen. Gun violence could happen anywhere with the amount of diversity we each face. We shouldn’t allow ourselves to be sitting ducks; immediate protection eradicates waiting. It’s impossible to predict attacks, but we can be prepared. Guns are always questioned because of the actions people use them in. When a person shoots another person, several questions the mental health and gun procedure in place. As a reminder gun conscious, but the person is and by giving proper physical and mental training to the wielders the less problems will occur.