Quakes’ Inconsistent Start

Mario Leal, Staff Writer

A sellout crowd of 18,000 at the Avaya Stadium made the ground shake after Anibal Godoy’s long range shot touched the net, picturing one of the most beautiful goals that we will see in this season.

This goal didn’t just make the team climb from a 0-2 hole, it made a whole city to dream of having a playoff season again, the San Jose Earthquakes showed creativity, desire, and capacity to react from adversities.

However, fans’ dreamful speculations went to the floor again as seven days later a weaker and vulnerable Earthquakes team showed in Kansas, losing against Sporting Kansas City 2-1. Despite the effort of the defender Florian Jungwirth to score one back in the last minutes of the match, the squad showed no reaction after being 2-0 down.

With four games so far, the Earthquakes left the image of a team having to different faces, one at home and one on the road. Still, we can analyze both pros and cons of these first games in the campaign.

Pros

1. The Avaya Stadium was a Fortress

With two victories and two thrilling last minute draws at home, the Earthquakes, just as last season, proved again that they are going to be a tough team to beat at home. Victories over Montreal Impact and the Vancouver Whitecaps displayed an image of a team that could win games.On both occasions, the Quakes outnumbered their opponents in shots and possession. Moreover, on the other two games against American soccer powerhouses, Seattle Sounders and Dallas FC, the team dominated both matches in chances created and could tie both games in the last minutes.Clearly, if visitors want to steal points at San Jose, they should plan a more conservative strategy.

1. Transfers following the flow

With four new players for this season, the plan of the Earthquakes’ board to give depth and balance to the squad has already made some effect. For instance, Albanian international, Jahmir Hyka, has made the biggest impact so far by providing two assists and one game winning goal. Moreover, Costa Rican forward, Marcos Ure

1. A new kid in town

Another player who has also made a big contribution to the team so far is the homegrown, Nick Lima. It’s hard for rookies to adapt to a whole new level when they first come to play to the MLS, but for this kid this is no big deal. The 22 year older has reinforce the defense with speed and energy. In addition, the youngster has also contributed to the offense by scoring one goal against the Vancouver Whitecaps. With much more still to show, it’s worth to keep an eye on the development of this prospect.

Cons

1. Mirror, mirror, on the wall

In fact, San Jose have shown that they can win at home. However, this seems a a reflection of the sins of last season as the Quakes yet can’t beat teams on the road. With two losses away against Sporting Kansas City and New York City FC, the squad hasn’t shown any highlight of good football nor control of the match. If the team wants to reach a playoff spot, starting to consider a new strategy for away games would be ideal.

1. The need of coming back

San Jose’s defense has been average so far. Receiving eight goals in six matches isn’t the end of the world but neither something to praise about. However, on four of those six matches, their rivals have score first. Obviously, scoring first has a big psychological impact on the game. Furthermore, in this modern game being the one who receives first normally is the one who loses, especially when receiving against teams that rely on their defensive game to win matches. Pursuing the playoffs involves more that reacting against adversities, it’s all about being focus the entire 90 min. If the coach doesn’t attend to this issue, fans should start giving up on being at the Finals.

As mentioned, it’s still too early to give a prediction about this season for the Earthquakes. However, if we put these games into perspective, we are going to see another mediocre season at San Jose.