Arkansas Law Allows Spousal Rapists To Intervene On Their Victims Abortion

Vicente Vera, Opinions Editor

Imagine a rape victim having their consent stolen in the worst way possible, then afterwards, the attacker still has control over her body. This could be the scary reality for victims in Arkansas after The Unborn Child Protection From Dismemberment Abortion Act, was signed by governor Asa Hutchinson.

According to Independent newspaper, this law gives a woman's husband the right to stop her from having an abortion, even in cases of spousal abuse.

As stated in the title, the purpose is to protect unborn children from abortion. According to OnTheIssues.org Governor Hutchinson of Arkansas voted yes on a Bill sponsored by Ros-Lehtinen called The Child Custody Protection Act. This Act makes it a federal crime to transport a minor across state lines for the purpose of obtaining an abortion.

International news agency, Reuters, quotes supporters of Act 45 as calling abortion "barbaric," due to "dismemberment" of the fetus.

In the landmark Supreme Court decision, Roe v. Wade, the Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion. Unfortunately, this right must be balanced against the state's interests in regulating abortions. Though this court case secured a woman's right to an abortion, it did not secure clear enough circumstances in which women can seek an abortion, instead, leaving this interpretation up to the states. This leaves more conservative states like Arkansas the power to impose strict abortion laws onto women, even laws that favor the abuser.

One thing they didn’t consider is how unfair it is to give a rapist the final say in whether a woman should keep the child he forced upon her. Truly, continuing to have control over the traumatized woman.

If the abuse results in pregnancy, the father should’ve lost all rights to the child, let alone to the woman's choice. Many women who have gone through this do not wish to keep the child. A 2004 national survey conducted by the Guttmacher Institute showed that each year about 19,500 U.S. abortions are undertaken to end pregnancies that occurred as a result of abuse or incest.

Supporters of the Act are quick to point out the main focus of the act is being not to protect abuser, but to protect the father in a consenting marriage. As previously stated, the Act gives the father the final say on an abortion.

While there are people who argue that the potential life of an unborn child shouldn’t be terminated because of the horrible acts of another person, disagreements claim it shouldn’t be the business of others whether the mother finds it appropriate to have a child or not.

It’s bad enough woman have to live through the trauma of being betrayed by their spouse, they shouldn’t be forced to have the child. This enables the father to continue tyrannizing the them.

1 Comment

• disqus_wsQKEXwqrw

The concept of spousal rape is pure nonsense. The dismemberment & murder of an innocent child is horrific. Further, men are often tricked into fatherhood & then forced into child support. Men should also have rights to protect their children from being aborted/murdered. Hopefully President Trump will fix the Supreme Court & stop the murder of innocent babies.

[Reply]