My birthday radio wishlist

Henry Ochs, Staff Writer

With my 49th Birthday coming up this Wednesday(Nov. 16th), I came up with my birthday radio wish list. Here are the top three things that I would like to see in the coming year:

1  The syndicated Top 40 radio show “Most Requested Live with Romeo” to finally get an affiliate here in the Bay Area. This highly interactive show lets its listeners interact with the show’s cast and also other fans from all over the world through their various social media websites and also their request lines. But for now, you can check out this show, which is aired every Saturday evening from 4-9p.m. on over 160 radio stations worldwide, including WIOQ(Q102) from Philadelphia. This station is available through the iHeart Radio app, which is available from your favorite app store, and it’s free.

2. Do you remember listening to KLOK in San Jose back in the 1970’s and 80’s? I would like to see this station make a comeback in 2017, with the MOR/Oldies format that they programmed in the 70’s. The person responsible for programming this station back then was the late Bill Weaver, who was elected to the Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame several years ago. Weaver sold the once popular radio station in 1988 to a Spanish language broadcaster. Today, KLOK programs a brokered Asian language format. I would write a column about the history of this radio station, but there is not much information about its history.

3.  KYLD (Wild 94.9) morning personality JV to get a show on Sirius/XM Radio. You can expect a high energy, fun, LOL show with some happy tears and I think he can expand his experience to satellite radio without testing the limits of the Federal Communications Commission. The JV Show's signature segment "The Moment" can be heard every Wednesday. The Moment is when someone contacts the show with an issue and they air out their problems on the show by contacting the person that humiliated them.

HERE ARE THIS WEEK’S TOP FIVE HIT RECORDS:  

1. “Closer” – The Chainsmokers f/Halsey

2. “Let Me Love You” – by DJ Snake f/Justin Bieber

3. “Heathens” – Twenty One Pilots

4. “Starboy” – The Weeknd f/Daft Punk

5. “I Hate U, I Love U” – Gnash f/Olivia O’Brien

FOR YOUR WEEKEND LISTENING PLEASURE:

Be sure to tune in to “Most Requested Live with Romeo” this Saturday because their special guests will include Lady Gaga and Jason Derulo. The show is aired from 4-9 p.m. on more than 160 CHR stations worldwide. More information about this show can be found on their website at http://www.mostrequestedlive.com

Monitor Radio Columnist Henry Ochs has spent many years working in radio and keeps track on all of the latest happenings in the radio business. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @DJHammerinhank.