Recruiters from the Navy, Army, and Air Force visit Ohlone’s cafeteria for Veterans Day celebration

November 9, 2017

Recruiters from the Navy, Army, and Air Force will visit the Ohlone College cafeteria on Thursday, Nov. 9, from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. for the Veterans Day celebration.

Free food, entertainment and ceremonies await at the event, to be held in the cafeteria and the Veterans Center on the firsst floor of Building 5. Flyers distributed for the event specifically mention popcorn, cotton candy, a photo booth, and giveaways.

Don Carlos Vejar, the Student Services Assistant of the Veterans Center gave a more detailed rundown of the day’s planned proceedings.

“Navy, Army, Coast Guard, and Air Force are all coming. Marines and National Guard can’t make it. They’re all going to be here. We’re going to have a 21feet troop carrier that the army is going to bring,” said Vejar. “The recruiters will be here, they’ll provide information, resources, probably some swag, things of that nature.”

“Most of the festivities will be in the cafeteria, but we also want to raise awareness for the center, so we’ll be handing out a passport to be checked off by vendors, which they can turn in at the center for a free plate of food and drink,” Vejar said.

Vejar said the event will feature ceremonies to honor veterans and the armed forces. “The highlights of the day will be a flag ceremony, a moment of silence and we’re going to have one of our student veterans who is running for California governor speak and read the Armistice, the agreement signed by the armed forces.

Also present at the event will be representatives of veteran resources such as the VA Palo Alto Health Center, Swords to Plowshares, the Oakland Vet Center, the County Veteran Service Officer, Bruce Choy, and the American Legion.

Ohlone’s own Health Center as well as the Career Center will be present at the event, which are resources that are available to both students and veterans.