New library to bring haven for students

October 27, 2017

Scale model of the new academic core buildings found on the ground floor of building 7. Building 1, in the background, will be home to the new 35,000 square feel library when complete.

Spread over 35 thousand square feet, the new Ohlone Library will be a paradise for book lovers.    Housing in the new building on campus, the library will not only overlook the scenic bay but will also have more print and electronic resources available for the students’ use.

A comfortable seating, warm lights and a great infrastructure will welcome everyone from the students to the staff.

While the outside space of the new library will be an interactive and noisy corner, “but as you go deeper into the library space, the open areas will be quiet. There will be a lot of open space with comfortable seating and spaces will be zoned by activity and noise level, active to reflective.” said librarian K. Greenstein.

The library shall be a part of a Learning Commons, meaning the library will share the floor space with the English Learning Center. Eventually, the presence of all language related resources in one area will make it more convenient for students to access them.

According to K. Greenstein, the library “will finally have a space devoted to teaching so that instructors can bring their classes into the library for customized research instruction sessions.”

The study rooms in the new library are designed to be media friendly and the librarians hope that they will be a huge attraction for students.

Despite making the library tech-friendly, the librarians will continue to hire “smart and helpful people” (K. Greenstein) because they do not underscore the value of human touch.

The new library “will be a place on campus that students can come to for inspiration and quiet contemplation as well as cultural events like author and poetry readings” said K. Greenstein.

Opening its doors in the Spring of 2019, the new library shall serve as a space where students can come to seek help or to get lost in the world of words.