Amazon bid could be an opportunity

October 27, 2017

Amazon’s “Headquarters 2” bid means there is a chance of 50 thousand jobs coming to the Bay Area.

“The Bay Area is an attractive place for any employer for many reasons, there’s a huge population, as well as our proximity to Silicon Valley…we have one of the highest percentages of college educated individuals,” said Daniel Newell, director of the Tri-City One-Stop Career Center.

Despite the bid being not only nationwide, but open to all of North America, Newell is optimistic that the Bay Area has enough to offer to at least be considered due to the population of young and educated individuals. Even if Amazon does not decide to anchor in the Bay, they are already an employer in the area.

The Bay Area has offered up a joint proposal among Concord, Fremont, Oakland, Pittsburg, Richmond, San Francisco, and Union City; San Jose, Sacramento, and Vallejo are offering their own bids for the project.

The project’s request for proposal, or RFP, asks that the land being submitted for consideration be able to support up to 8 million square feet, be at most 30 miles from a population center, 45 minutes from an international airport, no more than two miles from major highways and arterial roads as well as on-site mass transit options.

Newell added, “The career center is already working with Amazon to fill jobs, so if students are preparing for employment with Amazon, they are encouraged to stop by the center.”

The career center is located on the Newark Campus at room 1211.