Volleyball team brings victory home

October 24, 2017

13 games into a successful season, Ohlone’s women volleyball team won the game against Foothill college. Renegades took the lead in the first two sets with the scoreboard closing at 27-25 for the first set and 25-21 for the second.

However, Foothill continued to fight their way back into the game and won the next two sets with a score of 15-25 and 18-25, respectively. As the game moved to its final minutes, Ohlone won the last round and thus the game, by 3 points. The scoreline for the last set closed at a 15-12 with the final score closing at 3-2 .

Bouncing back after suffering their first two season defeats against state ranked #1 Cabrillo College and #12 Butte College in the beginning of the season, Renegades made drastic improve-ments in their style, structure and strategy of play.

A proud head coach, Jeremy Peñaflor, was elated with his team’s win against Foothill Col-lege on Wednesday Oct. 18.

As the entire team put their best forward, setter/ opposite, Hannah Finnigan once again proved her mettle as she led in service aces with 5 and in assists with 31. Moreover, she had a total of 8 kills and a 0.571 hitting percentage. Finnigan has been an essential part of the team and in good form throughout the season.

The outside hitter Sabrina Quilalang led in kills with 19 and Libero Malia Silva led in digs with 13.

The team continues to build it’s strength both on and off the field as the players prepare for their next match on Wednesday, Oct. 25 where they face De Anza College.