Atari creates a new console?

October 24, 2017

The Atari Box console design

The Atari Box console design

The Atari Box console design

With the current generation in full swing, Atari has teased a new piece of Atari hardware that will support a wide variety of games including a fair share of “current content’. At E3 2017 Atari started to tease its newest piece of hardware. The new console, called the Atari Box was said to be similar to Nintendo’s NES Classic and their newly announced SNES classic.

However, Atari has said that the new Atari Box will support current content alongside classic Atari games. Atari released a 20 second YouTube teaser video showing what their new hardware will look like.

The 20 second teaser video revealed some of the Atari boxes features as well as its appearance, including an HDMI port, Four USB ports, and an SD card located on the back of the console.  This project from Atari is said to be crowd funded and leaves many people to believe that the location of the consoles added hardware can change.

This obviously refers to the location of the consoles USB ports. This is due to the fact that USB ports are mainly used for a consoles controllers and are usually now placed on the front of the console for the player’s convenience. However, it is understandable that consumers could have this concern as the Atari 2600 had its controller ports on the back of the console.

As far as the looks of the new console, Atari’s 20 second YouTube tease revealed that the consoles exterior could look one of two ways. One of these looks includes a black rectangular box look with a wood panel design for the front of the console, resembling the well known Atari 2600.

On the other hand, the video also showcased a more futuristic red and black look for the console intended to fit a futuristic look more appropriate for recent years. As of right now, this is the only information Atari has released about its new console.

No other information has been released concerning further features or even the consoles overall specs. However, it will be very interesting to see and hear more about Atari’s new console when further information is released.