Ohlone mathletes Preparing for test

October 16, 2017

Geoff Hirsch Math Professor

Geoff Hirsch Math Professor

Geoff Hirsch Math Professor

Math Students at Ohlone College have been sitting the Student Math League exam, year after year, for over 20 years occasionally making the top ten but never securing the top spot. This year, they have another opportunity to strive for a top spot.

The Student Math League, which Ohlone’s Math Professor, Geoff Hirsch calls, “a challenging national competitive math exam at the pre-calculus level” will be offered at Ohlone College. The competition is open to all students at Ohlone College but he says that, “those who did very well in pre-calculus have a chance to do well.”

The test is taken by students at community colleges in 35 different states all across America and is even offered to students in Bermuda. Ohlone College has administered the test for more than 20 years.

Hirsch says that, ‘good performance on the Student Math League is one of several things that might be considered in awarding scholarships and awards.’ For Ohlone Students in particular there is a chance of winning generous awards. The ASOC has provided prizes for the top Ohlone students entering and more. According to Hirsch, “gift cards for $75, $60, $50, $40, and $30 will go to the top five scorers, while two $20 gift cards will go to two lucky second-tier scorers chosen by the roll of a fair die.”

Hirsch says the exam, “will be administered on Friday, November 3, 2017, from 10:15-11:15 AM and 11:15 AM-12:15 PM in Hyman Hall, HH-218”

To those interested in taking the exam Hirsch suggests preparing by taking previous exams offered by the Student Math League, which can be found on the website, http://www.amatyc.org/?StudentMathLeague. On the website Hirsch says, “you will find plenty of old tests, many with worked out solutions. He also asks all ,  “Please …  join the Math Club as its members discuss a recent exam, from Spring 2013, in HH-218 from 12:00-1:00 this coming Friday”

Hirsch hopes that Ohlone will be able to regain its place among the top ten in the United States. Ohlone has had several people over the years in the Top Ten nationally He says that, ‘How realistic that hope is, is largely a function of how many students compete for Ohlone.’’

You can help Ohlone, gain national recognition and potentially get a gift card by getting involved. There is no entry fee, just show up at the time and place mentioned previously. 

1 Comment

One Response to “Ohlone mathletes Preparing for test”

1. Geoffrey Hirsch on October 20th, 2017 2:21 pm

A better website for old exams (with solutions) would be http://math.fullcoll.edu/amatyc.html. Ohlone’s Math Club will be discussing the most recent test shown there (from Fall, 2016) at its Friday, October 27, noon meeting in HH-218. Copies of the exam can be found in the Fremont campus Math Learning Center on the bottom shelf of the rack by HH-220.
    While there has never been a more flattering picture of me, I think, more relevant photos can be found here: http://www.ohlone.edu/instr/math/mathclub/gallery/2009montereytrip.html
    Thank you for the publicity for this important national exam.

Ohlone Monitor • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in