Former Ohlone Student part of Pulitzer Award

On April 10, the East Bay Times was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for breaking news in the coverage of the Ghost Ship Fire in Oakland. This is the fifth time that a Bay Area News Group is honored with such a prize.

Proudly, photographer and former Ohlone Monitor student, Aric Crabb, was a contributing member of the awarded team. Still in disbelief, Crabb told the Monitor, “It’s a huge honor, we never expected this, to be honest.”

The Pulitzer Prize is awarded for achievements in journalism in the United States. The accolade is among the most prestigious prizes that a journalist can obtain.

Aric has been a photographer with the Bay Area News Group since 1998. Passionate about surfing and environmental photography, Aric describes photography as, “The ability to see lines, colors, and picturing the different graphic interpretations.”

Crabb is proud of his team’s coverage of the Ghost Ship fire. “Our coverage made the city look into the problems they have. That’s the real definition of journalism,” explained Crabb.    

Crabb also illustrates the situation of his team throughout the coverage as hectic. “People were constantly on the phone talking to their sources.”  Amazed, Crabb pointed out that one of the reporters received a call regarding the fire at 3:45 AM, and by 4:15 AM, a story concerning the fire was already published online.

When asked what advice he would give for aspiring journalists, “You need to be well rounded, you have to be able to both write and record audio and video,” said Crabb.