Graduation applications due Friday

More stories from Rob Adamic

Graduation applications are due 3/17/17

Rob Adamic

Graduation applications are due 3/17/17

This Friday, March 17, is the deadline for graduation applications.

A paper application must be turned in at the Office of Admissions and Records on the Fremont Campus.   

The most common mistake on the application is that students list the wrong general education plan.  “Sometimes they’ll put plan A when they’re really trying to be plan B,” said Santino Martinez, an enrollment services specialist at Ohlone College.  “That’s something we can’t figure out until we run audits and look at it.”  

It will be Martinez’s job to evaluate the nearly 700 applications that will be submitted this semester.  The process can be a bit time consuming.  First he’ll have to use the information on the application to create a graduate record in the school’s computer system.  If the student is applying any transfer work from other schools to their Ohlone graduation, Martinez will have to check to see if these are accredited schools that Ohlone can accept.  He may then need to call these other schools to determine the Ohlone equivalent of these classes.  If the school is no longer in business like Heald College, it can be even harder to determine what if any credits are transferable.  

Once this information has been sorted out and logged in the computer, Martinez can run a preliminary evaluation that will determine if the student will be eligible for graduation.  Only around 15 percent of applications are rejected as most students usually have a pretty good idea of what their graduation status is before submitting an application.  

The preliminary evaluation allows Martinez to contact the student and discuss any issues before the semester is over.  “If they’re short something, we want to be able to reach out to them and let them know”.  The student can then register to make up the class during the summer semester but will still be allowed to participate in the May graduation ceremony.

The graduation ceremony is the main reason that applications are due two months early.  Admissions and Records has to send vendors lists of all the students who are eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony.  These vendors include photographers, the bookstore which orders the caps and gowns, and the printer who prints the degrees.

The most popular degree students apply for is an Associate in Arts in Human Development Studies.  “It’s a general type of degree so you can transfer to a four year and go into a lot of different things with that,” said Martinez.  While it’s the most popular degree, not everyone who earns the degree does so intentionally. “Just by taking care of your transfer requirements most of the time you’re on pace for a human development studies degree and you don’t even know it”.   A counselor can run their own audit of your transcript and help to find surprise degrees like this, however with the Friday deadline looming, there probably won’t be time to schedule a counseling appointment.