Ohlone, sanctuary cities ready to resist

Due to Present Trumps recent decisions to sign executive orders which will cut billions of dollars in funding to sanctuary cities and enfoce the consturction of a "wall" in between North America and Mexico, many immigrants – both legal and illegal – find themselves in a space of emotional terror and potential physical removal from the country. 

Trump's order states, "Sanctuary juristidictions across the United States willfully violate Federal law in an attempt to shield aliens from removal from the United States."

In agreement with the defunding, President Trump claimes on Feb. 7, "These juristidictions have caused immeasurable harm to the American people and to the very fabric of our Republic."

According to the reputable political news website – Politico.com – about 42-48 percent of eligible voters in America support our president's ideas regarding immigration bans and extract laws.

In start contrast, leftist states, such as California, not only disagree with Trump's policies, but are actively fighting against them by upholding their commitment to protect immigrants through sanctuary cities.

Sanctuary cities are cities that follow certain procedures which shelter illegal immigrants and do not permit municipal funds or resources to be applied in furtherance of enforcement of federal immigration laws.

Although these cities can be found across the country, there are three right here in the Bay Area:  San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley.

Shortly after the election, before any orders were signed, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf took a strong stance against the president, stating, "We'll proudly stand as a sanctuary city, protecting our residents from what we deem unjust federal immigration laws, fight all forms of bigotry."

Following this sentiment, San Francisco, being one of the most well-known sanctuary cities in the state, also became the first city to sue Trump over his order to defund sanctuary juristidicitons on Jan. 31, 2017.

On that same day, S.F. Mayor Ed Lee said in his State of the City Address, "The misguided executive order makes our cities less safe, and we believe, is unconstitutional. If President Trump is truly invested in making America safer, then it is imperative that the new administration and congress pass comprehensive immigration reform."

The San Francisco lawsuit accuses Trump of overreaching his power. According to the 10th Amendment, the sovereignity of local jurisdictions is protected. 

Supporters of Trump's immigraiton policies believe it's of utmost importance to protect the country from all aliens.

To learn more about immigration policies from immigration attorneys, attend the free "Know you rights!" workshops hosted by A.S.O. C. on Feb. 23 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in Building 7, Room 7101 on the main campus and, the same day, on the Newark Campus from 6 to 8 p.m. in Room NC 1100.