Historic election approaches

MIRA CHANDRA, NEWS EDITOR

We have less than a week away from the November 8 general election.

At the local level, we have two candidates for the non partisan post of mayor: Bill Harisson and Lily Mei. Harisson is the current mayor of Fremont a former Fremont city council member and has a BA in economics from the University of California Santa Barbara. Lily Mei is a current Fremont city council member, and has an extensive history in Fremont politics.

After mayor are two highly contested seats on the Fremont City Council. Seven candidates running.

The first candidate is Vinny Bacon, an incumbent member of the council, with a graduate degree from U.C. Berkeley in city planning and transportation engineering.

Next is Marty Froomin; after his unsuccessful campaign for the Fremont city council in 2014, he has decided to run again this year. Froomin is an assistant professor at San Jose State University and works at Oracle as a lab manager.

After Froomin comes Kathy Kimberlin, Laurie Manuel and Rakesh Sharma. Both Kimberlin and Manuel are first-time candidates for Fremont City Council, and Sharma is a returning candidate since his last campaign in 2014.  

The sixth candidate is Raj Salwan. Salwan has an M.D. from the Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine and served on the city council for two years after the seat became vacant by Mayor Bill Harrison.

The final candidate for council is Cullen Tierman. As a first-time runner, he is a relatively younger and very liberal candidate with a BA in English from the University of Virginia.

In addition to city council elections, there are three candidates running for the Alameda County Superior Judge offices 1 and 14. These are non-partisan posts.

First, running for Alameda County Superior Court Judge office 1 are Scott Jackson and Barbara Thomas.

Jackson is an employment discrimination attorney, law professor and board member of an undisclosed non-profit organization which helps women with children who face homelessness, abuse, and poverty. Currently, one of Jackson’s major endorsements comes from the California Democratic Party.

Barbara Thomas has been an attorney since 1991, well versed in civil and criminal trials. Her experience includes victim’s rights, environmental and municipal law, family law, and criminal and civil insurance defense in both individual and class actions. A few of her major endorsements include Alameda Mayor, Trisha Spencer and Superior Court judge, Joseph Hurley.  

Second, re- running for Alameda County Superior Court office 14 is the incumbent candidate and former Piedmont Mayor, Margaret Fujioka.

To wrap up city elections, Fremont residents are expected to make a decision regarding the Fremont Unified School District. There are three spots available out of five total, and five candidates running; Michelle Berk, Desrie Campbell, and Ann Crosbie are all incumbent; Dax Choksi and Hiu Ng are both first-time candidates.

State Assembly District 25 candidates que

Returning Republican candidate Bob Brunton, who, in 2014, lost to the incumbent Democratic candidate re-running for assembly this year, Kansen Chu, who previously represented District 4 on San Jose’s City Council.

This year, Californians have a whopping seventeen propositions to vote on:

• Proposition 51 · $9 Billion Bond for modernizing K-12, charter, vocational schools and community colleges
  • Proposition 52 · Extends existing fee on hospitals to fund coverage for Medi-Cal, uninsured patients, and children's health
  • Proposition 53 · Requires statewide voter approval for bonds over $2 billion
  • Proposition 54 · Stops the legislature from passing any bill unless it's published on the internet for 72 hours
  • Proposition 55 · Extends income tax on earnings over $250,000 to fund schools and healthcare
  • Proposition 56 · Increases taxes on tobacco and e-cigarettes to increase funding for health care for low-income Californians
  • Proposition 57 · Allows parole consideration for nonviolent felons and allows juvenile court judges to decide whether juveniles will be prosecuted as adults
  • Proposition 58 · Allows schools to establish non English-only education programs
  • Proposition 59 · Recommends California propose an amendment to overturn Citizens United decision, which removed some limits for corporate and union campaign spending
  • Proposition 60 · Requires adult film performers to use condoms when filming, and other health regulations
  • Proposition 61 · Prohibits California from buying prescription drugs at a higher price than paid by the US Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Proposition 62 · Repeals the death penalty and replaces it with life imprisonment without possibility of parole
  • Proposition 63 · Requires background checks for purchasing ammunition and prohibits possession of large capacity magazines
  • Proposition 64 · Legalizes marijuana for use by adults 21 and over
  • Proposition 65 · Requires plastic bag fees be directed toward specified environmental projects
  • Proposition 66 · Changes procedures governing state court challenges to death sentences
  • Proposition 67 · Bans single-use plastic and paper bags

Finally, the most sensationalized and highly prioritized elections this year are for national positions.

Running for president, the U.S. has the following five candidates and their running mates: Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine, Republican candidate Donald Trump and Mike Pence, Gary Johnson as the libertarian candidate with William Weld, Gloria La Riva with Dennis J. Banks from the Socialism and Liberation party and finally, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, with Ajamu Baraka.

Next up for election are four candidates for the U.S. Senate of California and the U.S. House of Representatives- California district 17. Each has one position vacant.

Running for California Senator is Kamala D. Harris and Loretta Sanchez.

Harris is a Democratic candidate born and raised in the East Bay. Prior to this election, she served as the first-ever Asian American, African American, and female state attorney general in U.S. history.

Loretta Sanchez is a Democratic candidate as well, born in Lynwood, CA. Sanchez served in the House Representing California’s 46th congressional district prior to her candidacy for the U.S. senate.

Last, but not least, for the position representing California District17 in the House of Representatives are the two Democratic candidates, Mike honda and Ro Khanna.

Honda is the incumbent, while Khanna is the former U.S. Department of Commerce deputy secretary and is a return candidate for the House since his last campaign two years ago.

Over all, as American citizens, we need to fulfill our constitutional right to vote and make a well-informed decision regarding our local, state, and national governments. If interested in finding out more information before this historical general election on Nov. 8, visit ballotpedia.org.  

1 Comment

• Marty Froomin

This writer should do some fact checking. I no longer teach at San Jose State and am no longer a lab manager at Oracle. You provide more information on some and less on others. You are a lazy writer. Get the facts correct and be consistent in your information across all candidates (employment, previous runs, education). I happen to have a BS in Computer Science, MBA and MS in Systems Engineering, all from San Jose State University. Take the time to do your job right. People are counting on you and the content of your work.

[Reply]

Historic election approaches