Social Justice Conference

Mira Chandra, News Editor

Ohlone Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee (ODIAC) will host an Equity and Inclusion Symposium Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Fremont campus.

The first event will be a “laughing yoga meditation” from 9 to 9:50 a.m. in room 3101.

Next will be a two-part dance workshop from 10 to 11:15 a.m. in room 3101, Dr. Prince White, a campaign coordinator from the Urban Peace Movement, will speak to on the “education to prison pipeline”.

“The education to prison pipeline […] is one of the biggest challenges that black and brown men and communities of color face,” White said. “The number of incarcerated people has ballooned five times what it was in the 1980’s. My brother is currently serving a 12-year sentence in state prison and I have been impacted by mass incarceration from early in on life. Spreading information is part of ending mass incarceration.”

Next will be a multi-talent performance known as the Anastasio Project by the NAKA Dance theatre. It tells the story of Anastasio Hernandez-Rojas, a Mexican national who was detained at the U.S.- Mexico border in 2010 and was killed by patrol agents and customs. The performance will be held in the Smith Center from 11:20 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

The final event will be a panel discussion featuring Sgt. Luther Dupree and other officers from the Oakland Housing Authority Police Department on safety issues in the community. This workshop will be held from 1 to 2:25 p.m. in room 3101.

Teresa Massimo, an Ohlone communications professor, said “I think this event will be successful because it's a timely and well needed discussion for our society, particularly in higher education. Although we will be touching on hard subjects, such as institutional racism and social injustices,  the purpose of the symposium is to bring us all, together, with a deeper understanding of our differences.”

For more information, contact Massimo at [email protected].