Workers drill and pour concrete as new core buildings take root

Ivan Vargas/Monitor

Ivan Vargas/Monitor

Ronnie Lozano, Staff Writer

It is difficult to walk around the main campus and not notice the incessant clamor.

The noise comes from workers drilling deep holes, then filling them with “re-bar”, followed by the forming of concrete.

The process is the foundation of the Academic Core Project. Voters passed the $349 million in 2010 and the project began with demolition of Buildings 1, 2, and 8 which were built in the 1970s. Groundbreaking began in April and since then construction workers have been setting up the foot prints for the Academic Core Buildings at the heart of the campus.  The process of the project includes workers drilling piers for foundation 20-40 feet deep, followed by the placement of deep steel cages which are there to eventually be filled up with concrete, which is different from most procedures.

“It takes a lot of effort,” said Robert Dias, Director of Measure G. Being that the location of the project is on a hillside, the procedure is more challenging than usual. The buildings must meet seismic requirements which are strictly controlled by the State of California. “It is different because the nature of the buildings,” said Dias.

The complex which is set to open in the Spring of 2019, is set where Buildings 1, 2, and 8 formerly stood. There will be three new buildings to replace the ones that were demolished last year.
Building 1 will be for science classes, and will have a large lecture hall on the side of it. The large lecture hall is scheduled to open before the rest of the complex due to the planned tearing down of what is currently Building 3. Building 2 will be for art classes and will have a small lecture hall on the side of it. Finally, Building 3 will be the learning commons and will include the library.
“It will essentially be a new campus,” said Dias, who expects the buildings to be easy to navigate through for students once they are finished.
Despite the noise, the process is well underway and there is a positive outlook on how the complex will materialize, although there is a lot of work yet to be done.

1 Comment

One Response to “Workers drill and pour concrete as new core buildings take root”

1. Michael Sharnet on October 27th, 2016 5:42 pm

The the construction progress is great to see. The hillside transformed into the foundation for the new buildings
    has captivated my imagination.