STEP Up walk supports mental health

Laura Gonsalves
Ohlone staff and students take part in the sixth annual Out of the Darkness Walk at the Newark campus on Wednesday.

Rishabh Singhal, Staff writer

Ohlone students and staff took part in the sixth annual Out of the Darkness Walk at the Newark campus on Wednesday.

The walk aims to raise funds and awareness for mental health treatment and suicide prevention. The annual event is organized by STEP Up Ohlone and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and is part of a series of health center events this week.

The annual walk began “six years ago after the sui­cide of (campus safety) offi­cer Stewart Dawson sent the whole campus into a crisis of shock and sadness,” said Rosemary O’Neill, coordina­

tor of personal counsel­ing and life coaching ser­vices. “We partnered with AFSP and have been doing this walk ever since, which brings awareness to people that there’s help available, that no one has to feel alone, and prevents the taking of life by suicide.”

Wednesday’s walk was done on a trail that sur­rounds the Newark campus. All proceeds from dona­tions and fundraising go toward suicide-prevention initiatives and mental health counseling.

The event followed Tues­day’s Day of Dialogue, which was held in the Newark center lobby. The event, which lasted from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., is done annually to “promote awareness of mental health and break the stigma from people getting help for their mental issues,” O’Neill said.

The Day of Dialogue also was organized by STEP Up Ohlone. This year, the group launched a new Show Your Love Campaign to promote healthy lifestyles for men and women. Its program also included live depres­sion screenings for students, social outreach through a weeklong “Text, Talk, Act” initiative, and fun activities like bingo.

As part of their campaign, STEP Up representatives “dressed up as different veg­etables with catchphrases such as ‘I Care-ott about You,’ ‘Let-tuce Talk’ and ‘You’re the Apple of my Eye’ to ease people into the atmosphere and open up,” health promotion specialist Luwissa Wong said.

“More people come in to talk about their problems after every Day of Dialogue, which is the goal of events like these, to get people to reach out,” O’Neill said.

“We know for a fact that when we talk, it releases our stress. So people come to me for that. It’s com­pletely confidential and I’m removed from their social circle, so it becomes a safe space for them to express themselves.”

Students pay a $19 stu­dent health fee, which en­titles them to come to either the Newark or Fremont health centers. The Newark office is in the lobby, and the Fremont office is on the third floor of Building 7.

1 Comment

One Response to “STEP Up walk supports mental health”

1. HaroldAMaio on April 15th, 2016 10:29 am

–promote awareness of mental health and break the stigma
    You cannot simultaneously promote awareness and a “stigma”. They are mutually exclusive.

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

News

Ohlone mathletes Preparing for test

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

News

5,000 marvel at Night of Science

• News

Ohlone trustees discuss Mission frontage Land

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

News

eSports: A New Class and A Step Forward for A Community

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

News

Wildfires: Is Fremont prepared for the worst?

• News

Free college already exists

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

News

Watch out for rattlesnakes

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

Construction Updates

First topping off ceremony of the new Academic Core

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

Construction Updates

Ohlone negotiating with developer over frontage property

• STEP Up walk supports mental health

News

Former Ohlone Student part of Pulitzer Award

STEP Up walk supports mental health