Parking structure opens

Ivan Vargas
College officials cut the ribbon for the new parking garage Wednesday evening. Left to right: Rahul Patel, student representative to the Board of Trustees, trustee Ishan Shah, trustee Vivien Larsen, trustee Greg Bonaccorsi, college President Gari Browning, trustee Teresa Cox and trustee Jan Giovannini-Hill.

Sean Davie, Staff writer

The first of Ohlone’s many construction projects has been completed and is now officially open to the public.
Although the new parking structure on the south side of the Fremont campus has been fully accessible since the beginning of the semester, college officials held a ribbon cutting Wednesday evening.
The construction project began with a ceremonial groundbreaking on Feb. 12,
2014 – nearly 19 months ago.
The new structure contains 906 parking spaces, including disabled, staff and student carpool spots. The structure adds 563 new spaces, compared with the lots it replaced. It also includes an elevator system, EV charging stations and bike racks.
One of the worst aspects of life at the main campus, especially lately, has been the dreaded march up the hill. Luckily, however, parking in the new structure will save up to 250 stairs’ worth of climbing.
“I find that it’s a lot easier to get up to the classrooms, especially since it’s a lot closer here,” student Steven Mendez said. “There’s a lot more parking spaces than there used to be down there.
It’s just very convenient.”
Not all the parking news is good, however. Parking fees rose steeply this year, with semester permits going for $40 and day passes for $4, and an additional option of one- or two-hour passes costing $1 or $2 respectively.
Also weighing on the minds of some Ohlone students are the inherent dangers of parking structures, especially for those walking back to their cars after late-night classes.
However, there has been only one recorded instance of rape at the Fremont campus within the past decade, and a total of 15 instances of motor vehicle theft, according to campus crime records.
For students who still feel nervous, student escort officers are available to walk students from their classrooms to their cars any time from 7 p.m. to 10:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Ohlone students can request an escort by calling campus police at 510-659-
6111. This service is only available on weekdays at the main campus, not on weekends or at the Newark campus.
At any other time from 7:45 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday, or 7:45 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, campus police can escort students safely to their cars. To request an escort, call 510-659-6111 on the Fremont campus or 510-742-2311 on the Newark campus.