50th Anniversary Gallery challenge for Art 117: Museum Studies students deliver golden year exhibit

November 27, 2017

The+celebration+continues+and+the+Louie-Meager+Art+Gallery+in+Smith+Center+is+hosting+the+50th+Anniversary+Art+Exhibit+designed+by+Museum+Studies+students.+All+the++pieces+were+made+by+actual+and+former+Ohlone+faculty+members.+From+landscapes+to+sculptures%2C+the+exhibit+connects+and+commemorates+the+past+and+present+of+our+campus.+The+gallery+started+running+Nov.+13+and+will+continue+to+showcase+until+next+semester+from+10+a.m.+to+3+p.m.+The+gallery+is+free+for+all%2C+including+outside+viewers.+
The celebration continues and the Louie-Meager Art Gallery in Smith Center is hosting the 50th Anniversary Art Exhibit designed by Museum Studies students. All the  pieces were made by actual and former Ohlone faculty members. From landscapes to sculptures, the exhibit connects and commemorates the past and present of our campus. The gallery started running Nov. 13 and will continue to showcase until next semester from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The gallery is free for all, including outside viewers.

The celebration continues and the Louie-Meager Art Gallery in Smith Center is hosting the 50th Anniversary Art Exhibit designed by Museum Studies students. All the pieces were made by actual and former Ohlone faculty members. From landscapes to sculptures, the exhibit connects and commemorates the past and present of our campus. The gallery started running Nov. 13 and will continue to showcase until next semester from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The gallery is free for all, including outside viewers.

Jason Terrones

Jason Terrones

Putting together an art gallery isn’t as easy as it seems. A good art gallery is more than just placing paintings, pictures, and sculptures next to one another, it goes way beyond that.

A good art gallery is the one that the arrangement of its pieces draws people into it. Purposely placing each composition, the connection between one to another is what gives life and meaning to the gallery.

Finding those connections was one of the challenges that the Museum Studies class students found when putting together the 50th Anniversary Art Exhibition.

“We tried to make everything work together,” said Dina Rubiolo, director of the Louie-Meager Art Gallery. “At first glance, every piece is very distinctive of another. However, the placement that we made is what really makes every piece fit, it makes the exhibit cohesive.”

Indeed, within the walls of the gallery the exhibit creates a viewer-friendly environment were colors, shapes, or art styles connect each composition.

The Museum Studies class, also known as Art 117 is a “great laboratory,” said Rubiolo. “Students in the class learn very important skills like keeping and making gallery exhibits.”

The exhibit displays a variety of great art pieces: landscapes, paintings, photography, and sculptures. Also, the gallery commemorates compositions made by former faculty members who contributed to what the Art Department is today.

“We advise students and audience in-general to not be scared at looking at art,” said Rubiolo. “We want people to look at this and add their meaning to it, we want people to converse with the message of the artist,” said Rubiolo.

The cost-free exhibit has been running since Nov. 13 and will continue until Feb. 9 at the Louie-Meager Art Gallery in Smith Center.