Mark Emmons/Monitor
Actors Stacy Bell, Roman Gonzalez, and Marissa Madan of "The Illusion" In costume for a dress rehearsal to ready for their performances beginning the night of Nov. 4. The NUMMI Theater, where the show is to be held, promises to be a fresh experience for theater-goers, as it is a small theater, allowing for immersion in the story as actors move near audience members.

Romance and suspense coming to smith Center

November 8, 2017

The Illusion” opens in Ohlone College’s Smith Center on Friday, Nov. 3.

“The Illusion” is a play written by Tony Kushner, a Pultizer Prize-winner. The play revolves around the tale of a distraught father in 17th century France. Attempting to find his son, he consults a sorcerer, who enlightens him with visions, or illusions, of his son’s life. Through the visions, the audience experiences flavors of romance, drama and even comedy.

The performances will be located in the NUMMI Theater, inside the Smith Center. Though the theater is small, the show uses the NUMMI to great effect. The audience is seated on the sides of the stage, while the show’s scenes take place at both ends, as well as the main floor, of the theater. In doing this, the show becomes immersive, as actors are quite often within arm’s reach of audience members seated near the floor or in the aisles.

As a story, “The Illusion” is a ride of romance and suspense, decorated with humor and enjoyable characters. Not only is it enjoyable, but it is interesting. The show also has a wonderful ending, that hopefully theater-goers will enjoy and appreciate. Michael Navarra, the director of the production, shared: “I’m excited for the public to see our students’ work in this wonderful play.”

“The Illusion” runs for two weeks. The shows will be on Nov. 4, 9, 11, 16, 17, 18; all performances begin at 8 p.m. The show will also have an ASL interpreter on Nov. 11. For Ohlone students, bring your student ID card and get $5 off your normally $15 ticket.