Fisher’s experience motivates basketball players

October 24, 2017

To most, he is known as the Ohlone College Renegades’ successful men’s basketball coach. He’s also known for his smooth white hair that sits atop his 6’7” frame.

However, many don’t know Scott Fisher, the person. There is more to him than just coaching.

Born and raised in Fremont, Fisher began playing basketball at a young age, He was already shooting hoops in grade school at Gomes Elementary School, and later, at Hopkins Junior High School. It didn’t take him long to realize that basketball had become his passion. Soon, it would become something he would pursue.

After Hopkins, Mission San Jose High School followed, that it is there that Fisher first left his indelible mark on the game. Fisher was extremely dominant at Mission; he and his teammates were so good that they led the Mission Valley Athletic League. Fisher was eventually inducted into the school’s Sports Hall of Fame.

Prior to pursuing a professional basketball career, Fisher attended the University of California, Santa Barbara — a huge stepping stone in his career, and one which subsequently launched him into his professional career. UC Santa Barbara had a gem in Fisher, who, after graduation, left the school top 5 in the rankings for career points (1,351) and rebounds (664). Along with that, he was a two-time all-conference selection. As you see, Fisher didn’t stop with Mission San Jose as far as getting serious props: he was also inducted into UC Santa Barbara’s Athletic Hall of Fame.

Fisher had an extremely successful professional career: 16 years and 7 teams, and traveling to more countries than many do in a lifetime. “The first team I played for was the Wildwood Aces in the United States Basketball League (USBL)”, Fisher said. This launched his professional career on the right foot as he was recognized by the Philadelphia 76ers, and would eventually go up against the likes of now-Hall of Famer Charles Barkley. This wouldn’t prove to be Fisher’s last run in with the NBA, as he was soon called up to the Milwaukee Bucks for a little over a month. However, his career had only begun to take off. Shortly after his NBA stint ended, his Australian career began after receiving a call from the North Melbourne Giants in 1987. During his career with the Giants, Fisher was not only voted a top 10 player in the history of the NBL, Australia’s top league, but also the NBL’s MVP and Grand Final MVP.

Many do not know, but Fisher was a member of the 1996 Olympic team and the FIBA world championships in 1998. In 1996, he represented Australia who came in 4th place in Atlanta, Georgia. Although Fisher’s playing career ended, he did not step away from the sport of basketball. In 2004, he was named coach of his former Australian team, the Perth Wildcats, which started his coaching career. After about four years with the Wildcats, Fisher was appointed Director of Basketball Operations for the University of Hawaii, then an assistant coach at the University of Hawaii. When asked about coaching Fisher had this to say, “You know, it’s not something that I envisioned myself being involved in. When I quit playing, I kind of wanted to get away from the sport. Then, when I was asked to coach, I thought, well, I want to help my former team out, so I got into it. Then, after that initial year, I realized, this is awesome.”

Fisher is much more than a basketball coach. His resume extends as far as the eye can see. Fisher can sit back with a smile on his face after an extremely fulfilling basketball career