NES Classic Has Ceased Production

Jeremy Martin, Staff Writer

Youtube personalities who specialize in internet game reviews are largely responsible for the increased popularity of retro video games, as some have created content specifically focused towards the retro gaming community.  These content creators include people such as The Game Chasers, The Angry Video Game Nerd, The Irate Gamer, and The Metal Jesus.

With the help of content creators that promote these products, a huge new market has surfaced for older games. These games spread across several different consoles, with the main focus set upon the 8-bit era of gaming. As an attempt to capitalize on this growing trend, many third party companies have produced cheap Plug-and-Play consoles of older game systems.

Some of the titles include, a Plug-and-Play version of the consoles Atari 2600, Game Gear, and the Sega Genesis.

However, there hadn’t been a Plug-and-Play version of any Nintendo systems. Nintendo wanted in on the action. As a result, they produced the NES Classic or otherwise known as the NES Mini in November of 2016.

The system was a more mature reproduction of the Nintendo Entertainment system. It included a small square unit complete with an AC adapter and displayed games in HD, with a full sized HDMI cable. The console also included a replica of the standard NES controller. However, the cord is very short. As a solution, Nintendo later released a 6-foot extension cord.

The system itself was released with thirty games built in, and sold for a retail price of $60. Upon the system’s release, there was no way of adding additional games to the system. However, hackers figured out ways to add games to the system unofficially. They even went as far as to emulate games from the Nintendo Sixty-four and the Sega Thirty-two X.

The NES Mini was produced for a limited time, with very limited supply, making it extremely hard to find at retail stores such as GameStop, Walmart, Target, etc. However, earlier this month, Nintendo announced that they would cease production of the console, potentially making it even harder to obtain for consumers.

This was followed by a huge social media backlash, as many people are still trying to track down a console of their own. The console would sell out in minutes, with many people rushing to stores after any news of an upcoming shipment came to retailers. It is unclear exactly why they decided to stop the systems production, as it is a somewhat puzzling decision.

Many people could assume that the system just couldn’t compete with other Plug-N-Play consoles on the market. Other consoles are much more powerful and introduce better features. The only exception to this would be the fact that the NES classic can display games in HD whereas other Plug-and-Play consoles use AV cables only capable of displaying games in standard definition.

Nevertheless, there are many similar consoles, introducing better features and obvious signs of more potential. For example, Sega’s Plug-and-Play version of the Genesis has its own cartridge slot. This allows consumers to buy and play physical Genesis cartridges of games that are not already built into their system. With the NES Mini, consumers were stuck with only the original games built into the console, there was never an official way of adding to the system’s library.

In addition, the Plug-and-Play version of the Genesis had 80 games built into the console and the NES Mini only came with 30. To make matters worse, the Genesis used wireless controllers whereas the controllers for the NES Mini were wired.

While there may be many Plug-and-Play consoles proven to be more powerful with more features than Nintendo’s NES Mini, the NES still was a commercial success.

While most would point towards more advanced Plug-and-Play consoles, this could very well be a result of Nintendo not wanting the sales of the NES Mini to effect or overshadow those of their newer and far more advanced console, the Nintendo Switch.