Thursday Night Live

Alexandra Romero, Features Editor

First a student dressed up as a bear. Then he killed a woman on stage. Then he took off his bear’s head.

The skit was called Bearologist, and the audience loved it.

It was Thursday Night Live, held March 9 at 7 p.m. in the Nummi Theater at the Smith Center.

The bear skit, plus 19 others, were produced by the Student Repertory Theater, which offers a class in Ohlone’s Theater and Dance Department.

More than 30 students participated in the event, with short 10-minute comedic sketches.

The show was directed by faculty member Michael Navarra Smith. He said Thursday Night was an “opportunity for the students to work together as a company for the first time.

“We use minimal technical elements, compared to the Playwrights Festival, so that the students can learn and take steps towards a larger production (Ohlone College Playwrights Festival) at the end of the semester.”

Smith explained students and staff began rehearsing at the beginning of the semester. He added, the process was complex. He said the time duration varies, but typically “for educational theatre it’s usually 6-8 weeks of rehearsal. 

“In addition, there is pre-production, which includes play selection, casting, and director, actor, and designer prep.  Post-production includes Strike, a process of breaking down the sets, costumes, lights, and other technical elements of the production.”

The producers and cast members showed commitment and enthusiasm, and the performance was creative and hilarious. A large audience had come to support the Theater & Dance Department. The popularity of the show was obvious by the fact it was full and people were even turned away.

The Theater & Dance Department’s next performance will be, The Spring Dance Production, which will be April 19-22.

Following it will be The Ohlone College Playwrights Festival 2017, scheduled May 4 and 5 at 8 p.m.