‘Tis The Season For Holiday Concerts

Henry Ochs, Radio and Music Columnist

On the Airwaves

It’s that time of year again, where popular radio stations announce their Holiday concerts. Here is a rundown of what’s  happening in the Bay Area during the 2016 Holiday season.

iHeart Media Top 40 station KYLD(Wild 94.9) will be holding its 2016 Jingle Ball Concert on December 1st at The SAP Center in San Jose. This year’s line-up includes Shawn Mendes, The Chainsmokers, Diplo, Tove Lo, Alessia Cara, Lukas Graham, Daya, and a special appearance by Niall Horan.

“The iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour has become synonymous with the holidays,” iHeart Media President of National Programming Tom Poleman told the radio trade publication Inside Radio. “Fans wait all year to hear who will be playing this tour, and we’re thrilled to be announcing an impressive lineup. If you’re an artist who makes it to this stage, it means you’re one of the most important artists in pop music this year.”

Tickets go on sale October 17th at noon at http://www.wild949.com/JBTickets

Hot Adult Contemporary station KIOI(Star 101.3) will be holding it’s annual “One Starry Night” show, to be held on December 9th at The Masonic in San Francisco and will feature performances by Gavin DeGraw, Andy Grammer, Lindsay Stirling and Walking on Cars.

Tickets to this event are on now on sale at livenation.com

CBS Top 40 station KMVQ(99.7 NOW) has announced their annual their annual “Triple HO Show,” which will be held on December 3rd at The SAP Center in San Jose. This year’s line up will include Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Meghan Trainor, Hailee Steinfield and Zara Larsson.

Good luck getting tickets to this show, because it’s sold out

Ohlone College will be holding its 9th Annual Holiday Extravaganza, on December 3rd at The Smith Center. This year’s show will feature performances by The Ohlone Tuba Ensemble, The Ohlone Community Band, The Ohlone Wind Orchestra, and The Mission Peak Brass Band. Tickets can be purchased at the Smith Center Box Office.

FROM THE EARLY DAYS OF ROCK N ROLL FILE:  I found an interesting website about one of the pioneers of Rock N Roll, Little Richard, featuring some of his earliest performances.

An influential figure in Popular music and culture for over six decades. During his storied career, he appeared on several TV shows including Solid Gold. He appeared in several movies including “Down And Out In Beverley Hills and The Girl Can’t Help it.

His music also played a key role in in the formation of other music genres, including soul and funk. He was inducted into The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame in 1986 and is also a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame. He is a recipient of a Lifetime Achievement award from the Recording Academy and also from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation. His hit record “Tutti Frutti” was included in the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress in 2010.

You can see some of his memorable performance by visiting https://www.facebook.com/10103431475148118/videos/10103862413723758

HERE ARE THIS WEEK’S TOP FIVE HIT RECORDS:

1. “Closer” – The Chainsmokers f/Halsey

2. “Treat You Better” – Shawn Mendes

3. “Heathens” – Twenty One Pilots

4. “Let Me Love You” – Major Lazer f/Justin Bieber

5. “Gold” – Kiiara

FOR YOUR WEEKEND LISTENING PLEASURE: Pop music recording artists Calvin Harris, Andy Grammer, and Shaggy will be special guests this Saturday on the Top 40 music radio Show “Most Requested Live with Romeo.”  The show is aired every Saturday from 4-9pm on over 160 radio stations worldwide, including WIOQ(Q102) in Philadelphia, which is available on the iHeart Radio app. If you would like to find out more about this show, visit their website at http://www.mostrequestedlive.com

Monitor Radio and Music columnist Henry Ochs has spent many years working in radio and keeps track on all the latest happenings in the radio and music industry. He could be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @DJHammerinhank