Scary movies: the classics vs. modern tales

By LOUIS LAVENTURE

Sports editor

With Halloween fast approaching, it is time to start getting in the mood to be scared.

Here are some of the scariest movies – old and new – that will be sure to have you leaving on the lights when you go to sleep.

“Psycho” (1960)
This is one of the best films of iconic director Alfred Hitchcock.

A secretary steals money from an employer to solve her boyfriend’s financial woes.

While driving from Arizona to California, it begins to rain so she pulls over and checks in to a hotel for the night.

This is where she encounters the owner of the hotel, Norman Bates (played by Anthony Perkins.)

While more suspenseful than scary, this classic is sure to give any viewer an uneasy feeling, especially during the infamous shower scene.

“The Exorcist” (1973)
Originally a novel inspired by a documented exorcism in 1949, this film was the first horror movie to ever be nominated in the Best Picture category of the Academy Awards (even though it lost).

A woman notices strange changes to her 12-year-old daughter (played by Linda Blair) but is given a clean bill of health by doctors.

She takes her to see a psychiatrist, whom she violently assaults at the meeting.

Unexplainable events begin to take place that begin lead to an exorcism.

The events that take place as the two priests try to exorcise the demon from the girl are sure to give anybody the chills – if spinning heads or vomit don’t get to you.

“Halloween” (1978)
On Halloween night in 1963, a 6-year-old named Michael Meyers (played by Will Sandin) murders his older sister with a butcher knife.

Meyers is placed in a sanitarium where he is held until he escapes 15 years later on Halloween day.

Meyers returns to his hometown and began to stalk high school student Laurie Strode (played by Jamie Lee Curtis.)

A true slasher film, Meyers made “Halloween” even creepier than it already is
thanks to great direction by John Carpenter.

“The Silence of the Lambs” (1991)
This film was critically acclaimed and was only the third film to ever win the top five Oscars, including Best Picture.

A serial killer named Buffalo Bill Is pursued by the FBI and FBI Academy student Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster).

She enlists the help of convicted cannibal and former psychiatrist Hannibal Lecter (played by Anthony Hopkins) to help track down Buffalo Bill before he kills again.

Lecter takes a liking to Starling and helps her as she tries to capture the serial killer in a brilliant performances by Hopkins and Foster, both respectively won Best Actor and Actress Oscars for their roles.

Suspenseful and chilling, the thought of “fava beans and a nice chianti,” still incite fear in my heart.

“House at the End of the Street” (2012)
In her first role since “The Hunger Games,” Jennifer Lawrence plays Elissa, the daughter of divorcee (Elisabeth Shue) who recently relocates for a fresh start.

Their neighbor Ryan (Max Thieriot) lives alone in the house where his sister murdered their parents and then vanished.

Elissa befriends Ryan, despite everybody urging her not to do so.

Though things start well for them, they definitely take a turn for the worse.

This film provided plenty of plot twists as well as a great scare factor with a realistic premise that adds to the spookiness.